EUCHRE-CORE

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Brubeck: Impossible


For this week, I've mashed-up two of the greatest tunes ever written in 5/4 time: Dave Brubeck's "Take 5" (1959) and the "Mission: Impossible" TV theme song (1966).  I lifted the drums/piano from my vinyl copy of "Time Out," added the MI bassline myself, and recruited my friend Guy Sion to play the melody on alto, and to add a little of his own flair to the piece.  Of course, I had to keep Joe Morello's iconically weird drum solo (mostly) intact. 

I was excited to long-distance collaborate with Guy on this one: he is a badass Israeli sax player who now lives in Norway.  We met hustling flutes and clarinets to NYC middle schoolers at a local music store a few years back.  He sent me four takes that were all killing, so it was very hard to choose--thanks Guy!

I paired it all with an excellent clip of James Bond skiing in the Alps from the beginning of "The Spy Who Loved Me" (1977).  Am I the only one who has occasionally confused the "Mission: Impossible" theme for a Bond theme?  Well it is in that spirit that I pair them together here!  Free mp3.

1 comment: